Armed police detain person at Waterfront after reports of man carrying a knife
- Credit: Archant
Armed police have detained a man after responding to multiple reports of an incident at the Ipswich Waterfront.
Eye witnesses reported seeing many police officers at the scene, near Wiff Waff bar at around 7pm today.
Suffolk police have confirmed that they had received calls regarding a disorderly man who may have been carrying a knife.
It was reported by witnesses that a man had been seen throwing plant pots out of flats above the bar before being detained.
A witness inside the bar said that the door were closed while the incident was dealt with and that bouncers were not letting anybody leave until the person had been detained.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson from Suffolk Constabulary said: "Armed police attended an incident at Ipswich Waterfront this evening. "They have detained a person of interest and there is no threat to the wider public."
Officers found the man they were searching for in the street a short distance away and detained him. He was no carrying a knife and was reportedly under the influence.
- 1 Covid vaccines cancelled at four Suffolk centres today – this is why
- 2 Good Inside cafe opens for 'real food' takeaways in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Three fined for breaching Covid rules after reports of 'gathering'
- 4 Murder probe launched after woman in 20s dies in Colchester
- 5 Ipswich child rapist gets 21 years for 'despicable' crimes
- 6 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 7 Warning after distraction thefts at supermarkets
- 8 What was unearthed during the BBC's Antiques Roadshow Ipswich episode?
- 9 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk
- 10 New cheese afternoon tea launched in Suffolk