Arsonists torch pet supply shop
POLICE are today searching for arsonists who set fire to a pet supplies company in Ipswich.Firefighters were called to tackle the blaze at Bill's Pet Supplies in the turban centre at around 9.
POLICE are today searching for arsonists who set fire to a pet supplies company in Ipswich.
Firefighters were called to tackle the blaze at Bill's Pet Supplies in the turban centre at around 9.45pm yesterday.
Evening Star reader, Graham Nunn spotted the fire from his nearby home and captured the dramatic scene on camera as the flames took hold mainly of the roof area.
Shopkeepers in the area have been left reeling by the arson attack and fear it could be the latest in a campaign of anti-social behaviour at the centre.
You may also want to watch:
The Turban Centre has been plagued by yobs in recent months.
Luke Walker, a greengrocer in the centre, said: “We have had windows put in frequently, we have had five windows broken over three months.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 8 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 9 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
“The last one we had done was in July. We had a window broken and someone snapped a board in half and climbed through and stole the cash boxes. We have 30 or 40 kids down here usually on a Saturday.”
Other shopkeepers in the area said wheelie bins had been set on fire and they had also had windows broken.
It is thought that the council removed one of the benches outside Bill's Pet Supplies in the past to detract teenagers from hanging around. However, due to the shelter created by the roof of the building, many still hang around in the area.
No one at Bill's Pet Supplies was available for comment today, but the majority of the damage appeared to have been done to the roof. There were no pets in the shop at the time as the shop only sells food and other supplies.
A police spokeswoman confirmed they were treating the fire as arson and urged anyone with any information to call Pc Mick sears on 01473 613500.
n. What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email firstname.lastname@example.org>