Assault horror after night out
AN ASSAULT victim has today told how he was attacked by five youths as he walked home after celebrating his birthday at an Ipswich pub. It is the second time the 33-year-old, who did not want to be named, has been attacked while walking in the east of Ipswich at night.
AN ASSAULT victim has today told how he was attacked by five youths as he walked home after celebrating his birthday at an Ipswich pub.
It is the second time the 33-year-old, who did not want to be named, has been attacked while walking in the east of Ipswich at night.
In the latest incident he was walking back from the Heathlands pub in Foxhall Road when he was set upon by a group of men aged between 18 and 20 years old.
He said: “I was at the Derby Road bridge and I got jumped by five boys wearing caps and hoodies.
You may also want to watch:
“They were trying to get money out of my pockets and gave me a kicking.”
The man sustained bruising to his ribs, a black eye, swollen nose and lumps to his head and said he now faces two-and-a-half weeks away from his job as a plasterer while he recovers.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
During an incident in February he was more seriously injured in an attack.
He said: “I was holding on to the bridge railings this time because last time I was attacked I went to the ground and they stamped on my face. My eye was swollen and my lip was ripped to bits and I had to have three teeth replaced and bridge work done.”
The man said he knew several people who had been attacked in the Derby Road/Foxhall Road area and said he was constantly looking over his shoulder when walking home.
In July, The Evening Star highlighted an attack on 32-yaer-old Lee Brunning who was violently attacked at the same junction as he walked home one evening. His jaw was broken in half and had to be wired up.
The victim of the latest assault added: “I will only go out now with a couple of mates. This sort of thing is not needed.
“I had had a fun night out with my friends celebrating my birthday.”
The man did not need hospital treatment following the incident at around 11pm on August 15 but was treated by paramedics at the scene.
Anyone with information should call Pc Charlotte Bowen at Ipswich police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Have you been assaulted in an Ipswich street? Write to: Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.