Attack victim fights for cash from thugs
BITTERNESS and frustration taint Matthew Cunningham's view of British justice today.The 21-year-old is desperately trying to get £1,000 compensation from two men who knocked him unconscious in a vicious attack 18 months after they admitted the beating.
By Colin Adwent
BITTERNESS and frustration taint Matthew Cunningham's view of British justice today.
The 21-year-old is desperately trying to get £1,000 compensation from two men who knocked him unconscious in a vicious attack 18 months after they admitted the beating.
The assault left Mr Cunningham with 14 stitches and he was unable to work for three weeks.
Despite battling for nearly 18 months, all he has received in compensation is the meagre total of £40.
Meanwhile Kirk Gould 22, of Mill Road, Colchester and Daniel Smith, 21, of Church Road, West Mersea, have still to pay up the remainder.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 6 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 8 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 9 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 10 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
Now Mr Cunningham is calling for a proposed change in the law to be implemented immediately so victims are guaranteed the compensation awarded to them even if the guilty renege on their payments.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S STAR