Baby Evie and her family are finally Ipswich-bound after the tiny tot was given the all-clear by doctors in the Dominican Republic
- Credit: Archant
A young family stranded abroad after their first child was born prematurely on holiday will finally return home to Suffolk tomorrow.
Sharon Halls gave birth to daughter Evie 12 weeks early on September 28 last year while in the Dominican Republic for a friend’s wedding.
Since then the pair, along with Evie’s father Daniel Compton, have had to stay in the country until the tiny tot was strong enough to cope with flying home.
Despite being born weighing just 2lbs 10oz Evie has overcome the odds to grow into a healthy baby and last week the family’s insurance company said they were happy she was well enough to come home.
Taking Evie on a plane any earlier may have been problematic because very young children can struggle to adapt to the pressurised atmosphere of an aeroplane cabin.
The family, from Ipswich, had hoped to be home by Christmas but in the end had to spend the festive period away from their families.
Sharon Halls posted on Facebook earlier today they had been given the good news after a last series of tests.
“The day has finally come. We fly this evening and get in to UK 9am Wednesday morning,” she wrote.
After describing the tests she said: “The doctor concluded that Evie could indeed fly, we would just need to follow up with a haematologist back home about her anaemia.
- 1 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 2 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 3 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 4 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 5 Line-up announced for Ipswich library's music event
- 6 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 7 Revealed: The latest Covid rates in every Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 9 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 Travel: Our night at boutique hotel with rooftop bar and incredible views
“Hearing the words ‘Lets get you all home’ by the insurance company will stay in my memory for years to come! Very excited mummy and daddy!”