Baby Evie and her family are finally Ipswich-bound after the tiny tot was given the all-clear by doctors in the Dominican Republic
- Credit: Archant
A young family stranded abroad after their first child was born prematurely on holiday will finally return home to Suffolk tomorrow.
Sharon Halls gave birth to daughter Evie 12 weeks early on September 28 last year while in the Dominican Republic for a friend’s wedding.
Since then the pair, along with Evie’s father Daniel Compton, have had to stay in the country until the tiny tot was strong enough to cope with flying home.
Despite being born weighing just 2lbs 10oz Evie has overcome the odds to grow into a healthy baby and last week the family’s insurance company said they were happy she was well enough to come home.
Taking Evie on a plane any earlier may have been problematic because very young children can struggle to adapt to the pressurised atmosphere of an aeroplane cabin.
The family, from Ipswich, had hoped to be home by Christmas but in the end had to spend the festive period away from their families.
Sharon Halls posted on Facebook earlier today they had been given the good news after a last series of tests.
“The day has finally come. We fly this evening and get in to UK 9am Wednesday morning,” she wrote.
After describing the tests she said: “The doctor concluded that Evie could indeed fly, we would just need to follow up with a haematologist back home about her anaemia.
- 1 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 2 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 3 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 4 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 5 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 6 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 7 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
- 8 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 9 Suffolk woman describes 'brutal, shocking' unprovoked train attack
- 10 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
“Hearing the words ‘Lets get you all home’ by the insurance company will stay in my memory for years to come! Very excited mummy and daddy!”