BB gun recovered by police after armed officers sent to Cardinal Park
Police deployed firearms officers and dog teams to reports of a gun seen in Cardinal Park yesterday evening.
Security staff working there contacted Suffolk Constabulary around 5.20pm saying they had seen a group of between 15 and 20 young people, one of whom appeared to be holding a gun.
One youth had been detained, a force spokesman said, with a search is continuing for the rest of the group in the nearby area.
They added a bag had been recovered with a BB gun inside.
The spokesman added no shots had been fired and no one has been injured.
One eyewitness said she saw armed officers approach “a crowd of teenagers” as she and her eight-year-old son left the cinema.
“I was about to cross the one-way to go to the car park across the road when I heard sirens on the main road,” she said.
- 1 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 2 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 3 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 5 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 6 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 9 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 10 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
She described seeing the police car “screech to a halt” and two officers, both with guns, move towards the group of youths before arresting one.
“I didn’t know what they were there for so I wanted to get my son away in case anything happened,” she added.
“It’s not exactly what I was expecting on the way back to the car.”