Big ship makes first visit
WOW what a whopper! Shipping enthusiasts at Felixstowe have had the rare treat of seeing the biggest ship afloat.Port chiefs said today that the vessel CSCL Europe was able to carry a staggering 8,468 standard-sized containers – making it the biggest ship sailing on the world's oceans.
WOW what a whopper! Shipping enthusiasts at Felixstowe have had the rare treat of seeing the biggest ship afloat.
Port chiefs said today that the vessel CSCL Europe was able to carry a staggering 8,468 standard-sized containers – making it the biggest ship sailing on the world's oceans.
The port welcomed the China Shipping Container Lines ship on its maiden voyage from China and the Far East.
It is one of a pair – the other being its sister ship the CSCL Asia – and will be a regular visitor to the container terminal, which has deepsea berths able to handle its arrival and departure at any state of the tide.
But while it is being celebrated worldwide, designers are already working on even bigger ships and the industry expects a 10,000 container vessel soon.
A reception was held at the Port of Felixstowe to welcome the CSCL Europe, attended by customers of China Shipping, members of staff from China Shipping (UK), and senior managers from the Port of Felixstowe.
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 5 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 8 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 9 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 10 Company requests £1.8m loan to finish Broomhill Lido project
Richard Pearson, managing director of Hutchison Ports (UK) Limited, said: "We are delighted to welcome the CSCL Europe on its maiden call to the Port of Felixstowe.
"Our colleagues in our fellow ports of Yantian and Hong Kong had the opportunity to welcome the CSCL Asia on its maiden call in July, and we extend the same warm welcome to its sister vessel, the CSCL Europe."
Gu Jingsong, managing director of China Shipping (UK) Agency Co Ltd, said:
"The arrival of the CSCL Europe marks the continued growth of China Shipping Container Lines, and establishes the company firmly amongst the major shipping lines of the world."
The CSCL Europe called at the ports of Shanghai, Ningbo, Xiamen, Yantian, Hong Kong and Port Kelang, before setting out on its 16-day journey to Felixstowe.
On completion of discharging and loading of boxes at Felixstowe, it will continue to Hamburg, Antwerp and Rotterdam, before returning to Asia.