Will the HGV driver shortage hit bin collections in Ipswich?
- Credit: Archant
Councils are warning that a shortage of HGV drivers could affect bin collections.
At least 18 councils across the UK are said to be experiencing problems collecting bins, due to a shortage of lorry drivers caused by the pandemic and Brexit.
But a spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council said they did not anticipate any problems with bin collections as a result of the HGV driver shortage.
He said: "Ipswich Borough Council continues to provide a full refuse collection service and to date has not had any service interruptions because of any shortage of drivers."
Other council leaders have penned a letter to the Home Secretary.
You may also want to watch:
The letter read: “At the time of writing, North Devon Council are attempting to fill seven vacancies, Torbay Council eight vacancies, and Teignbridge Council 10 vacancies.
“This equates to approximately 20% of the HGV workforce in driver vacancies and it is proving very challenging to fill this resourcing gap given the dynamics of this labour market.
- 1 Teenager arrested after man suffers cut to neck on Ipswich estate
- 2 Anger at parking fines for butcher, barber and carpet fitter shoppers
- 3 Meet the strongest 40+ English woman, a teacher from Ipswich
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Roadworks held up by parked Mini
- 6 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 7 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 8 Man sent obscene online messages to two 'decoy' schoolgirls while on drugs
- 9 Chris Louis big Q&A: What now for the Witches? What now for speedway?
- 10 More than 500 pupils test positive for Covid since start of term
“We therefore believe that HGV drivers should be recognised as an important shortage occupation with a two-year derogation to the points-based immigration rules for trained HGV drivers – allowing councils, as well as others across the economy, sufficient access to a wider pool of drivers while we recruit and train the next generation of HGV drivers.”