Will the HGV driver shortage hit bin collections in Ipswich?
- Credit: Archant
Councils are warning that a shortage of HGV drivers could affect bin collections.
At least 18 councils across the UK are said to be experiencing problems collecting bins, due to a shortage of lorry drivers caused by the pandemic and Brexit.
But a spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council said they did not anticipate any problems with bin collections as a result of the HGV driver shortage.
He said: "Ipswich Borough Council continues to provide a full refuse collection service and to date has not had any service interruptions because of any shortage of drivers."
Other council leaders have penned a letter to the Home Secretary.
The letter read: “At the time of writing, North Devon Council are attempting to fill seven vacancies, Torbay Council eight vacancies, and Teignbridge Council 10 vacancies.
“This equates to approximately 20% of the HGV workforce in driver vacancies and it is proving very challenging to fill this resourcing gap given the dynamics of this labour market.
- 1 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 2 Fire breaks out in café near Ipswich town centre
- 3 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 4 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 5 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 6 Hopes Summertime Ipswich firework display will go ahead
- 7 Car carrying three passengers not wearing seatbelts stopped on A12
- 8 New doughnut and coffee chain opening in Ipswich shopping centre
- 9 Pride as Ipswich A Level students celebrate results
- 10 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
“We therefore believe that HGV drivers should be recognised as an important shortage occupation with a two-year derogation to the points-based immigration rules for trained HGV drivers – allowing councils, as well as others across the economy, sufficient access to a wider pool of drivers while we recruit and train the next generation of HGV drivers.”