Blaze at Ipswich Waterfront
FIRE crews are currently on their way to a blaze in a derelict building on Ipswich Waterfront.Flames can be seen in the former Paul's Specialist Maltings building and black smoke is billowing across the road.
FIRE crews were called to battle a blaze in a partially derelict building on Ipswich Waterfront today.
Crowds gathered to watch as flames took hold in the former Paul's Specialist Maltings building shortly before 7am. Black smoke billowed out of windows and across the road and bright blue flashes could be seen as the main electricity cable caught light.
Assistant Divisional Officer Geoff Pyke said the cause of the fire was being treated as accidental.
He said: “Some workmen were here this morning doing some hot cutting in the room where the fire subsequently took hold.
You may also want to watch:
“They didn't realise there was a fire but the next time they checked in the room they called us.
The fire engulfing the cabling was allowed to burn, sealing the plastic coating over the live wire but crews quenched the rest of the flames with water.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 5 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 9 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
ADO Pyke said: “Fortunately the building was empty and made of concrete which meant the fire hadn't spread to any of the other floors.
“We searched the building with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to make sure that was the case.”
A total of four appliances attended the scene.
n. FIRE crews were called to an Ipswich home in the early hours today after a fence caught light.
Flames took hold of around two metres of fence and decking at a home in Richmond road, Ipswich, at shortly after 1am. The fire was under control by 1.15am.