Boy, 17, due in court on murder charges after two men died from stab wounds in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
A teenage boy is today due in court to face murder charges following the deaths of two men from stab wounds in Ipswich last Thursday.
The 17-year-old, from Ipswich, who cannot be named due to reporting restrictions on defendants under 18, was arrested on the same day the two men died from their injuries at Ipswich Hospital.
Police were granted an additional 36 hours from the time of issuing the warrant to question the suspect, who was then charged on Saturday night and remanded in custody to appear before a youth court hearing at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court via a video link today.
The victims have been formally identified as 32-year-old Barry Street and 18-year-old Nathan Oakley – both from Ipswich.
Home Office postmortem examinations, carried out on Saturday, found that both men had died as a result of stab injuries.
Police were called just after 1.15pm on Thursday to reports of a man in his 30s having collapsed at the entrance to West Meadows travellers’ site after being stabbed.
Another call was then received just after 1.30pm, reporting that a second man, in his late teens, had been brought to Ipswich Hospital in a car with suspected stab wounds. Both men received treatment for their injuries but later died.
- 1 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 2 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 3 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 4 Ipswich entrepreneur to appear on ITV show
- 5 Staff shortages hit 98% of firms, including Suffolk hotels and restaurants
- 6 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 7 Suffolk woman describes 'brutal, shocking' unprovoked train attack
- 8 Man who sexually assaulted toddler in the street could be jailed
- 9 Road closure 'chaos' for residents during fibre works
- 10 Ipswich resident charged £400 by rogue trader to pressure wash driveway
Shortly after 1.30pm on the day of the incident, police conducting enquiries at West Meadows detained a teenage boy nearby, in the area of Paper Mill Lane, Bramford. He was arrested on suspicion of murder and taken into custody.
An investigation by the joint Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team continues into the circumstances of the men’s deaths.
Police are appealing for anyone in the vicinity of West Meadows, between 8am and 3pm on Thursday, December 8, to contact detectives with information.
Officers are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have driven past the entrance to the site during this time, and has a dash-cam fitted in their vehicle.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the major investigation team on 101, quoting reference 70694/16, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.