Boy suffers burns after electric shock

A TEENAGER is recovering in hospital today after suffering what is thought to have been an electric shock from an overhead cable carrying 20,000 volts near an Ipswich railway line.

A TEENAGER is recovering in hospital today after suffering what is thought to have been an electric shock from an overhead cable carrying 20,000 volts near an Ipswich railway line.

The 13-year-old was taken to Ipswich Hospital last night with severe burns to his hands and feet.

An ambulance was called to the scene in the Dickens Road area of Ipswich at about 8.45pm to reports that a firework had exploded in the youngster's hand.

But Chris Connell, duty officer for British Transport Police, today said he did not believe fireworks had been involved.

He said the teenager, who has not been named by police, was believed to have been playing on the bridge over the tracks when he suffered an electric shock.

He said: “We are under the impression that there was connection with an overhead cable.

Most Read

“It is subject to an inquiry but we don't think a firework was involved.

“He was on an overhead bridge when it happened and I think there might have been a pole or something used.

“We will be speaking to him but we do not anticipate any prosecution because if he did anything silly he has suffered enough.”

Police visited the youngster in hospital earlier today and the boy was said to be recovering. His injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Following the incident police reminded people to be cautious near railway tracks and to not to attempt to make any contact with power lines.

A spokesman for British Transport Police added: “We would remind people to be very careful. Overhead cables use 20,000 volts of electricity so you shouldn't go anywhere near them.”

N Did you witness the incident? Call The Evening Star news desk on 01473 324788, write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter