Brand new centre a boost for town
NEW opportunities are on the horizon for Ipswich residents thanks to Government funding.A community resource centre is to open at Downing Primary School following a successful bid to The Children's Fund.
NEW opportunities are on the horizon for Ipswich residents thanks to Government funding.
A community resource centre is to open at Downing Primary School following a successful bid to The Children's Fund.
It was officially launched on Friday by MP Chris Mole but will not be open until next week after half term.
Everyone in the area will be able to use the centre at the Downing Close school and it's not just for youngsters.
Adults' courses will be run offering skills including helping people get back to work or parenting classes.
There will also be an Internet café and eight new computers have been bought.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 6 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 7 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 8 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 9 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
Matthew Freeman is the community development worker.
He said: "This will provide a link between home and school.
"Schools are good at working academically but don't look at the social side of education.
"Where do children learn to behave if they don't learn from their family or friends."
The new resource centre will provide a place where there will be lots of activities in a bid to help improve youngsters behaviour and provide more opportunities.
The Children's Fund was set up by the Government to give provide for eight to 13 year olds, but it is hoped Connexions will also become involved to work with teenagers.
After school clubs and holiday clubs will also be run.