Bumper blooms at Brantham
BRANTHAM flower show celebrated a bumper year this weekend.More than 200 people turned up to the small but popular annual event to see not only flowers but also photographs, handicrafts and wine.
BRANTHAM flower show celebrated a bumper year this weekend.
More than 200 people turned up to the small but popular annual event to see not only flowers but also photographs, handicrafts and wine.
Visitors walked around the halls of Brooklands Primary School in Brantham to see the many categories on offer, including a controversial erotic photography section.
Helen Clancy, secretary of the Brantham Horticultural Society, which organised the show, said their scaled down version of the larger shows like the Ipswich flower show had been a success.
You may also want to watch:
"Flower shows have been going since the end of the 19th century. Ours has been going since 1903. It's traditional but we move with the times, we don't stay static, we renew our classes to add entries," she said.
One of the more recent changes is a move away from sewing and knitting entries in the handicraft section to something more accessible like making bookmarks.
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 4 Ipswich landlord fined £4K for leaving mountain of rubbish outside property
- 5 Police investigate illegal Kesgrave bike jumps
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut sells for record price of £65k within hours
- 7 Man, 71, downloaded child porn after accident affected his sex life
- 8 Police deal with spate of incidents in Ipswich
- 9 Dog to be put down after biting three people in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich woman drove at 78mph during police chase around town
While some of the more interesting entries on Saturday August 24 was from Amy Webb, a ten-year-old from Holbrook who made a model of a duck from yellow plastic bags. Also in the photography category Rosemary Ireland won first prize for her photographic interpretation of the word erotic. The picture was taken at a show where a female dancer's top fell down.