Burned teenager had been asphyxiated
A TEENAGE girl whose burning body was found in an isolated country lane in Essex had been asphyxiated before she was set alight.Police have named the girl as Debra Carne , 17, of Swan Court, Sible Hedingham.
A TEENAGE girl whose burning body was found in an isolated country lane in Essex had been asphyxiated before she was set alight.
Police have named the girl as Debra Carne , 17, of Swan Court, Sible Hedingham. They also said four people – all aged in their late teens and early 20s – had been arrested in connection with the incident and were helping detectives with enquiries.
Officers were last night comforting the relatives of Miss Carne whose body was discovered by three local people just after 10.30pm on Sunday in undergrowth beside a narrow layby on a country lane.
The body was found in Dyne's Hall Road, on the road to Hopwell's Farm between Halstead and the Hedinghams.
Two walkers and a lone motorist appear to have encountered the flames by the roadside at about the same time.
They quickly realised there was a woman's body at the seat of the fire and called the fire service.
- 1 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 4 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 5 From Ipswich to LA: 20-year-old Suffolk singer's meteoric rise
- 6 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 7 Homes proposed for two sites at Purdis Farm
- 8 Architects plan to create town hall wedding venue
- 9 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 10 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before the body was burned beyond recognition. Detectives immediately treated the death as suspicious.