24-hour gym to close amid increased competition
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich town centre gym is to close blaming an increasingly crowded market.
Anytime Fitness was launched by husband and wife Chris and Deborah Hayden in 2015. Anytime Fitness is a national and international franchise of 24-hour gyms.
It is housed in a former warehouse building in Regatta Quay next to the Winerack apartment building at the Waterfront.
Mr Hayden said: "It is very disappointing obviously for a family business but there are a lot of gyms in Ipswich now. It is a very competitive market.
"We have come to the end of our five year franchise and it is a simple business decision. We have told the members and our suppliers and we are doing everything properly and are closing on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
"My wife died two years after we opened the gym. It was really her business. It is a franchise and I have chosen not to renew.
"My children are not interested in it.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 5 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 6 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 7 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 8 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
"When we came here we were the first 24 hour gym in Ipswich. There are two others now and they are big multiple businesses."
One gym user said: "I think it is very disappointing but I understand the reasons for it.
"I have been a member since last summer and I really like it here.
"They have sorted us out with discounts for other gyms, which is good."
Mr Hayden did not know what would happen to the building after the gym closed: "It is a prime site. I am sure it won't be empty long."