Charity cyclists face hostile weather as they circle around Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
Two Suffolk vets overcame strong coastal winds and drizzly conditions to cycle the circumference of Suffolk over the weekend of June 4 and 5, all to raise money for St Elizabeth Hospice.
Joining the Cycling Suffolk for Sue cycling team, Ella Canham and Roger Harvey from Stowe Veterinary Group took on the mammoth challenge, which started and finished in the village of Old Newton.
The 220-mile journey took the team through some of Suffolk’s most beautiful towns, including Thetford, Haverhill, Felixstowe and Southwold.
Roger Harvey said: “The ride went amazingly well; day one covered 125 miles, starting in Old Newton in the drizzle, and heading around to Felixstowe, by which time the sun had come out, aided by the massive support we received en route.”
He continued: “Sunday morning started with a speed boat crossing of the Deben, before getting back on the bikes and heading north out of Bawdsey. “The wind was not so kind to us in the first half of the day, with us having to deal with either a strong coastal wind, or as we headed inland, a northerly wind. Again the support en route was amazing throughout.”
The team successfully completed the route within their target time and received an emotional welcome into Old Newton by family and friends on the Sunday evening.
The team undertook the gruelling two-day ride in support of their friend Sue Cobbold. Sue was diagnosed with cancer in March 2011 and has chosen to support St Elizabeth Hospice, who continue to provide amazing support for both her and her family.
- 1 Teenage girl followed twice by man in Ipswich
- 2 Travellers pitch up in Chantry Park
- 3 Court orders Ipswich drug dealer to repay £63,000
- 4 A12 to be closed over most nights for next few months due to roadworks
- 5 Delivery driver attacked twice by the same person near Woodbridge
- 6 New information released after baby girl found dead at recycling centre
- 7 Firefighters tackle overnight blaze in mobile home near Ipswich
- 8 Promising young footballer ran Ipswich 'Maxwell' drugs line
- 9 Witness appeal after cyclist and van driver assault in Ipswich town centre
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: the criminals put behind bars this week
In total, the team has raised £3,226.25 for St Elizabeth Hospice and, with donations still being collected, they hope to top £4,000.
Roger added: “The ‘Cycling Suffolk for Sue’ cycling team (Ella Canham, Roger Harvey, Clare Norfolk, Dawn and Paul Cobbold), would like to extend a thank you to all the support team, together with those that cheered us on en route and of course all the amazing generous sponsorship.”