The open-air bar less than a mile from Ed Sheeran’s Chantry Park shows
- Credit: Archant
Ed Sheeran’s Chantry Park gigs are great for Ipswich - with one pub taking full advantage of the crowds flocking to town.
The Earl Kitchener pub in Hadleigh Road is embracing the opportunity of 40,000 people leaving Chantry Park every night with open arms.
For the four days of the shows, an outdoor bar will stand in their car par alongside a grill, bringing hot food and cold drinks to people leaving the grounds of the show.
Landlord Steve Wardley said: "We are bringing out a purpose-built bar outside the front of the pub so that people can stop for a drink on the way home.
"It's going to be so busy for people trying to get on buses and trains to get home, it's worth stopping here for a bit and maybe avoid the crowds when the show finishes.
"We've got burgers and hot dogs, we've got a licence to stay open an extra hour two nights so we'll be open to 1am - it seems like a great idea to us.
"The roads will be closed to cars so it'll just be people walking down the road right outside the pub."
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 6 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 7 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
Drinks and food are available as soon as the pub opens at noon.
On top of the new open-air bar, Mr Wardley is providing entertainment for people that did not get a ticket for Ed's shows.
He added: "On the Saturday night we have a fantastic Elvis tribute act, Andy Otley, coming to the pub, and on Sunday we always have karaoke.
"We're a family pub and these are family shows, so everyone is welcome before and after the gig."