Felixstowe: Cafe opens up in resort
A new cafe in the town has opened despite the recession putting many shop owners in peril.
Chris Daynes’ new shop - Cafe on the Corner - a joint venture with his wife Christine and brother Stuart was opened on Monday.
He said: “We are trying to fill a gap in the market. I know there’s lots of coffee shops but we offer more.
“We want to be a proper cafe – a greasy spoon without the grease.”
The opening of the shop is also seeing eight new jobs created in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Daynes used to run a successful party shop called You’re Having a Laugh, in the town but he decided he had run as far as he could with the store.
“I’m not happy just plodding along. I want to move on to bigger things,” said Mr Daynes.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 7 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 8 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“We’ve been talking about opening a coffee shop for years but it wasn’t until I was looking to close the other one that we found the premises.”
The shop which is at 16 Hamilton Road will offer coffee but will also have a food menu as well.
Mr Daynes is confident the business will succeed.
He said: “We have listened to what people want. We want to give people a good meal and get them to come back.”
Are you fighting the recession? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail to email@example.com.