Felixstowe: Port gains new container business
FELIXSTOWE: Port executives are celebrating more new business today after the start of a transatlantic service.
The service, which is operated by The New World Alliance Lines, will serve northern. Europe, the UK and a selection of US east coast ports and Panama.
The Americas Europe Express (AEE) service is the Alliance’s third transatlantic service and complements the two existing weekly services that call at the Port of Felixstowe.
Its offers shippers extremely competitive westbound transit times of eight days between Felixstowe and New York.
David Gledhill, chief executive officer for Hutchison Ports (UK) Ltd, which owns the Port of Felixstowe, said: “This new service is a great addition to those already calling at the Port of Felixstowe and further cements our position as the UK port of choice.
You may also want to watch:
“We are pleased to be able to offer our customers easy access to the most comprehensive transport infrastructure in the country whether via road, rail or coastal feeder.”
The Alliance – comprising shipping companies APL, Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM) and Mitsui OSK Lines (MOL) – has deployed high-reefer-capacity ships on the weekly service with an average effective capacity of 3,200 standard-sized containers.
- 1 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 2 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 3 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 4 GP surgery with more than 3,000 patients announces closure
- 5 Kesgrave care home manager denies hosting party in breach of Covid rules
- 6 School with 'sky high' ambitions aims to be 'best in Ipswich'
- 7 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
- 8 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 9 Could Russian competitor to Aldi and Lidl open Ipswich store?
- 10 'You only get one education' - student never misses day of secondary school
APL will supply three of the vessels deployed with HMM and MOL contributing one each.
As with the Alliance’s APX service that already calls at the Port of Felixstowe, Maersk Line will take slots. For Hyundai it marks a welcome return to the Port of Felixstowe as a vessel operator.
The first eastbound vessel – the APL Indonesia – is expected to arrive at the Suffolk port on Saturday March 24.
The vessels call at Manzanillo (Panama), Charleston (US), New York (US), Rotterdam (Netherlands), Bremerhaven (Germany), Felixstowe (UK), New York (US), Charleston (US), and Manzanillo (Panama).