Noah's Ark replica arrives back at Dutch port ready to reopen as museum
- Credit: DR RUTH FLAHERTY
Noah's Ark is back in the Netherlands after being forced to extend its stay in Ipswich to 18 months.
The ship museum arrived at the Dutch port in Vlissingen on Friday after setting sail in Ipswich last week.
It's the first time the Noah's Ark replica has been able to leave the Waterfront since late 2019.
The Ark wrote on its Facebook page: "We enjoyed the people visiting the ark in Ipswich. We keep them always in our memory."
Owner and Dutch theatre producer Aad Peters responded on its arrival to detractors after emails and documents obtained by this newspaper showed that the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) considered it unseaworthy.
Mr Peters said: ′"Every floating object, like the ark, depends on weather conditions.
"At 10 metres high waves you don't sail and at 10 metres you do.
"The ark has [arrived in] more than 50 ports [including] Rotterdam, Hamburg, Rostock, Copenhagen, Oslo and up to the Norwegian [coastal city of] Bergen in the last 10 years - always under the right weather conditions."
The MCA documents also said the Ark could not sail under a Dutch flag despite being registered there, key certification is missing and, since April 1, the vessel has been accruing a fine of £500 a day.
- 1 Teenage girl followed twice by man in Ipswich
- 2 Travellers pitch up in Chantry Park
- 3 Court orders Ipswich drug dealer to repay £63,000
- 4 A12 to be closed over most nights for next few months due to roadworks
- 5 New information released after baby girl found dead at recycling centre
- 6 Firefighters tackle overnight blaze in mobile home near Ipswich
- 7 Delivery driver attacked twice by the same person near Woodbridge
- 8 Witness appeal after cyclist and van driver assault in Ipswich town centre
- 9 Promising young footballer ran Ipswich 'Maxwell' drugs line
- 10 Ipswich's Bistro on the Quay named among the best in the UK
Visitors are set to be able to visit the ark, now in the Netherlands, from July 10.
- The Noah's Ark revelations were thanks to Archant's Investigations Unit, see more stories like this on their Facebook page.