Noah's Ark replica arrives back at Dutch port ready to reopen as museum
- Credit: DR RUTH FLAHERTY
Noah's Ark is back in the Netherlands after being forced to extend its stay in Ipswich to 18 months.
The ship museum arrived at the Dutch port in Vlissingen on Friday after setting sail in Ipswich last week.
It's the first time the Noah's Ark replica has been able to leave the Waterfront since late 2019.
The Ark wrote on its Facebook page: "We enjoyed the people visiting the ark in Ipswich. We keep them always in our memory."
Owner and Dutch theatre producer Aad Peters responded on its arrival to detractors after emails and documents obtained by this newspaper showed that the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) considered it unseaworthy.
Mr Peters said: ′"Every floating object, like the ark, depends on weather conditions.
"At 10 metres high waves you don't sail and at 10 metres you do.
You may also want to watch:
"The ark has [arrived in] more than 50 ports [including] Rotterdam, Hamburg, Rostock, Copenhagen, Oslo and up to the Norwegian [coastal city of] Bergen in the last 10 years - always under the right weather conditions."
The MCA documents also said the Ark could not sail under a Dutch flag despite being registered there, key certification is missing and, since April 1, the vessel has been accruing a fine of £500 a day.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 3 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 4 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 5 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
- 8 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 9 Anger as 'three to four large skips' of fly-tipped rubbish blocks road
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
Visitors are set to be able to visit the ark, now in the Netherlands, from July 10.
- The Noah's Ark revelations were thanks to Archant's Investigations Unit, see more stories like this on their Facebook page.