Ipswich: Anger as Anglian Water take four days to stop leak after residents reported stream of water running along Stoke Street
Bill-payers in Ipswich have condemned the “massive waste” caused by a leaking water main, which was not repaired for four days despite complaints.
Anglian Water said the delays in fixing the leak at the junction of Austin Street and Stoke Street was to “minimise disruption” by scheduling a time when traffic levels were at their lowest.
Following four days of water wastage, however, the explanation has failed to satisfy neighbouring residents, one of whom claims to have reported the leak on at least three occasions.
Martin Phillips, of Austin Street, said the “constant stream of water” was an affront to bill-payers and a danger to motorists, two of which, he claims, suffered “fender benders” as a result of the surface water.
“For four days water was pouring out into the road and no one did anything about it,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“How can they justify the price of our water bills when they cannot be bothered to fix a leak- that’s what we pay our bills for,”
The 48-year-old lorry driver, who has lived in the area for more than 20 years added that the “massive waste” was particularly riling considering the problems of drought in some nations.
- 1 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 2 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 3 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
- 4 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 5 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED! Peterborough Panthers v Ipswich Witches
- 6 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 7 Boxing coach punches man in Ipswich pub attack
- 8 Waterfront bar and restaurant bid rejected following 53 objections
- 9 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 10 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
Councillor Bryony Rudkin said she had not heard from any concerned residents about the leak but said she would investigate the issue.
“Obviously I would want things to be repaired as soon as practical and I’m concerned to hear there has been an accident,” she said.
The leak, which was first reported on Friday, was repaired overnight last night into this morning.
Emma Staples from Anglian Water said: “We’d like to thank customers for reporting a leak on Austin Street/Stoke Street in Ipswich. We had to schedule the work to take place outside peak times to minimise disruption to traffic in this busy part of town. The repair was carried out overnight [on Tuesday] and everything is now back to normal.”