Waterfront bar abandons plastic glasses
- Credit: Archant
A pub in Ipswich has responded to concerns over plastic by reverting to the use of glass for serving drinks.
Isaacs On The Quay adopted polycarbonate glasses in 2009 for safety reasons, although some of the venue’s customers have always complained about the switch.
Now, following recent publicity about the impact of plastics on the environment, particularly the sea, Isaacs has introduced new glasses, made of special safety glass.
Many businesses are looking at reducing their use of plastics, after problems for wildlife were highlighted by the Blue Planet television series.
The busy Waterfront venue introduced plastic drinking glasses because of the danger of glasses being dropped or knocked over, and people getting cut.
You may also want to watch:
Nathaniel Coughlan, of Isaacs, said: “We were concerned about the dangers that broken glass presented to us. Introducing plastic polycarbonate we felt was the most appropriate option at the time.
“But since then special safety glass has been developed, which shatters and is easy to clear up.”
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 Two Suffolk centres offering walk-in Covid-19 vaccinations tomorrow
- 5 Man appears in court to face charges after Ipswich 'brawl'
- 6 Ipswich nursery rated as 'outstanding' by inspectors
- 7 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 8 Ipswich city bid dropped after failing to get backing from MP Tom Hunt
- 9 Ipswich man wanted for theft and fraud offences
- 10 Mum stops work and pulls son out of school to homeschool through pandemic
Alex Trunovs, who has just arrived as the new general manager at Isaacs, added: “We have introduced the new glasses for a few days and the feedback from customers is good.”
Some beer drinkers have always preferred beer to be served in real glasses.
The new glasses are the Ultimate Stronger and Safer Arcoroc glasses (pint and half pint).
We went out into one of the courtyards to conduct our own safety test.
Alex pushed a safety glass off an outside table; it fell a few feet to the paving stones - and shattered - leaving just small chunks of glass to be swept up.