No more monthly farmers' market as town centre footfall drops
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich's monthly farmers' market on the Cornhill has been stopped after reduced town centre footfall made it unsustainable.
The farmers' market on the Cornhill, which ran on the first Sunday of every month, was launched by Suffolk Market Events in the spring of 2019.
It was hoped that the regular event would attract more people to Ipswich and bring a boost for retailers.
But falling visitor numbers, which were made worse when the pandemic hit, have meant that the monthly market isn't currently viable to continue in Ipswich town centre.
Justine Paul, founder of Suffolk Market Events, said: "We were delighted to launch the farmers' markets on the Cornhill in partnership with Ipswich Vision as we, like many stakeholders, wanted Ipswich to have a vibrant and thriving town centre.
"However, despite a successful start, the long-term effects of reduced town centre footfall, which was further damaged by the pandemic, has meant there are not the visitor numbers to sustain a monthly farmers' market."
The company has announced a line-up of future, less regular, events, with three new artisan markets scheduled for the first Sunday in April, July and December and two vegan markets in mid-May and September.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 6 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 7 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
Ms Paul continued: "We are encouraged by latest developments and tenants in and around the Cornhill and are committed to bringing fresh artisan produce to the town centre again."
As well as artisan produce the markets will also be a showcase for local craft and art, with more than 30 stalls planned for each event.
Dates for 2022:
Ipswich Artisan & Producers Market
- Sunday 3rd April
- Sunday 3rd July
- Sunday 4th December
Ipswich Vegan Market
- Sunday 15th May
- Sunday 18th September