New adventure toy ship is made out of recycled plastics
- Credit: Archant
Come aboard for a new maritime experience
Staff from Ipswich social enterprise Eco Furniture have launched an impressive new product made out of 100% recycled plastics – a 30-foot long Tudor/pirate galleon play boat.
It is ideal for playgrounds and public open spaces.
Eco Furniture is part of the award winning social enterprise Realise Futures which specialises in manufacturing outdoor furniture for parks and public spaces. It has made play equipment for schools and attractions like Colchester Zoo and Jimmy’s Farm.
Built at its factory in The Drift, Ipswich, the square-rigged galleon, comes complete with separate decks which will take up to 30 children.
You may also want to watch:
It can be built in two sizes, with flags and an access ramp for wheelchairs or buggies.
It is made out of plastic planks formed from thousands and thousands of plastic bottles, plastic bags, and other plastics such as CD cases which would have otherwise been destined for a landfill site.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 4 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 5 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 6 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
Eco Furniture business fevelopment manager, Kieron Lingard, said: “We have made boats as play equipment for schools before - including the Saxon long boat at Sutton Hoo, Woodbridge, for the National Trust visitors’ centre playground.
“As our long boat has been so successful, we thought we’d embark on something more adventurous and a Tudor galleon is perfect for children to play in and learn all about the explorers. It’s a way of bringing history to life.”
All of Eco Furniture’s products are weather proof and never need maintenance.
The company won the British Chamber of Commerce’s Sustainability Award in the East of England for its innovative products delivering environmental and social benefits two-and-a-half years ago.
Realise Futures specialises in helping people who are disabled and disadvantaged. It is a specialist provider of employment support services, learning and development and the largest provider of careers advice services in the East of England.