New adventure toy ship is made out of recycled plastics
- Credit: Archant
Come aboard for a new maritime experience
Staff from Ipswich social enterprise Eco Furniture have launched an impressive new product made out of 100% recycled plastics – a 30-foot long Tudor/pirate galleon play boat.
It is ideal for playgrounds and public open spaces.
Eco Furniture is part of the award winning social enterprise Realise Futures which specialises in manufacturing outdoor furniture for parks and public spaces. It has made play equipment for schools and attractions like Colchester Zoo and Jimmy’s Farm.
Built at its factory in The Drift, Ipswich, the square-rigged galleon, comes complete with separate decks which will take up to 30 children.
It can be built in two sizes, with flags and an access ramp for wheelchairs or buggies.
It is made out of plastic planks formed from thousands and thousands of plastic bottles, plastic bags, and other plastics such as CD cases which would have otherwise been destined for a landfill site.
- 1 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 2 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 6 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
- 10 'All about communication' - families seek answers after memorials discarded
Eco Furniture business fevelopment manager, Kieron Lingard, said: “We have made boats as play equipment for schools before - including the Saxon long boat at Sutton Hoo, Woodbridge, for the National Trust visitors’ centre playground.
“As our long boat has been so successful, we thought we’d embark on something more adventurous and a Tudor galleon is perfect for children to play in and learn all about the explorers. It’s a way of bringing history to life.”
All of Eco Furniture’s products are weather proof and never need maintenance.
The company won the British Chamber of Commerce’s Sustainability Award in the East of England for its innovative products delivering environmental and social benefits two-and-a-half years ago.
Realise Futures specialises in helping people who are disabled and disadvantaged. It is a specialist provider of employment support services, learning and development and the largest provider of careers advice services in the East of England.