Rushmere St Andrew: Local woman starts online gift business
AN UNEXPECTED series of events saw Lyn Atwell take voluntary redundancy last year.
She put her 15-year career at Ipswich Hospital behind her and used the time to set up her own online business Petals and Polka Dots which specialises in unique hand-crafted baby gifts.
She creates nappy cakes and baby gift bouquets by intricately folding items of babywear to look like flower buds.
Mrs Atwell said: “I came across this idea quite by accident when out with my daughter Amanda one day. We saw a little posy of baby clothes and thought how pretty and what a lovely unusual gift.
“Amanda made a bouquet for a friend and from there the idea grew.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Atwell and her husband Neal work together from their Rushmere St Andrew home and said the experience has been a huge learning curve from setting up a website and business legalities to marketing and finding suppliers.
“I thoroughly enjoy being my own boss and working alongside my husband,” she added. “We make a good team and it’s fantastic that I have the support of my family and friends.”
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 4 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
Mrs Atwell is offering Star readers a 10 per cent discount code, IPST10, online at www.petals-and-polkadots.co.uk which will be valid on all products from September 1 to December 31.