Indian-Nepalese restaurant re-opens in town – for the third time
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich restaurant specialising in Indian and Nepalese cuisine has re-opened – following a challenging few years.
Owner Umesh Pun launched the family-run Selkirk Gurkha in Selkirk Road back in 2014 but it struggled with a variety of issues around staffing, costs and customer footfall.
It closed its doors in 2017, and reopened again in July 2017, but closed for a second time after the departure of its chef in October 2018. It has remained closed since. It has now re-opened under manager Vinni Gautam, who is a friend of the owner.
MORE - Bank 'backs Britain' as it renews £1.7bn of support for East of England firmsA new chef, Suman Chaulagain, has been recruited and Mr Gautam says he is "very excited" about the future for the business after a difficult start.
The new boss - who studied business at Cardiff Metropolitan University - said his efforts had been focused in getting in the right chef, providing quality food and on marketing since the re-launch at the end of December 2019 - and his fingers were crossed for a better year.
"It's really, really good - we are really excited about that," he said. "The chef now is very experienced. He has been a chef for more than 15, 20 years."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "The difference will be the taste and the service, and we wanted something different on the marketing stuff so we can get some customers. We'll be selling quality stuff."
The aim was to serve authentic Indian and Nepalese food to order, and with no artificial colouring.
- 1 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 2 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 3 Boxing coach punches man in Ipswich pub attack
- 4 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
- 5 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 6 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
- 7 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED! Peterborough Panthers v Ipswich Witches
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert