Shotley Gate: Closure of pub could put off village’s visitors
A councillor believes the closure of a popular village pub is a “loss to the village as a whole”.
The Bristol Arms in Bristol Hill, Shotley Gate, closed its doors to customers in mid-June – during one of its busiest months.
Councillor Tony Ingram, of Shotley Parish Council, said: “This is a loss to the village as a whole. Not just because The Bristol is one of our few remaining amenities and a social centre for the village, but because it is probably our most popular tourist destination and a number of local businesses rely on the tourist trade, something which the parish council is actively trying to encourage by supporting projects such as the proposed Shotley Heritage Park.
“Recently, in the space of about 20 minutes one midweek lunchtime, I myself saw four separate parties of people go up and try the door hoping for a meal.”
Mr Ingram said he understands the brewery, Punch Taverns, is working with the landlord to get the pub reopened as a priority.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We can only hope this will be sooner rather than later as the longer it remains closed, the more regulars will go elsewhere, and the more regular visitors will cease to come back to Shotley on the assumption that it’s gone for good.”
A Punch Taverns spokesman said: “The Bristol Arms is unfortunately closed and we apologise for any inconvenience. Our priority is to re-open The Bristol Arms as soon as possible.”
- 1 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 2 Boxing coach punches man in Ipswich pub attack
- 3 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 4 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
- 5 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
- 6 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 7 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED! Peterborough Panthers v Ipswich Witches
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Waterfront bar and restaurant bid rejected following 53 objections
- 10 Two cars crash in Crown Street, Ipswich
n What do you think about the closure of The Bristol Arms? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com