Delight as maritime mecca celebrates milestone
- Credit: Picture: Stephen Waller
An Ipswich tourism hotspot which has helped attracts thousands of visitors to the town is celebrating its 20th year.
Ipswich Haven Marina – which was launched by port owners ABP – has welcomed more than 5,000 visiting yachts, with some sailing from far-flung destinations including Australia and America.
The marina, which lies at the head of the River Orwell, was officially launched by sailing legend Sir Robin Knox-Johnston – the first person to single-handly circumnavigate the globe in a non-stop voyage – on July 6, 2000.
MORE – Venerable Victor a ‘beacon of hope’ as it sets sail againSince then the marina has become a magnet for sea-faring enthusiasts, with its popularity going from strength to strength.
The site is equipped with a host of facilities, including washing and laundry facilities, a chandlery, boatyard and fuel supply services. Since its original launch, ABP has continued to invest in marina improvements, including increasing the number of new pontoon berths and upgrading security.
The River Orwell cruising area includes the rivers Deben, Blackwater, Crouch, and Thames, making Ipswich Haven Marina an ideal base for cruises to destinations such as Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Woodbridge, and London.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Harston, ABP regional director for Wales and short sea ports, said: “We are delighted to celebrate the 20th anniversary of our Ipswich Haven Marina, which has been a favourite among locals and tourists alike.
“I would like to thank our marina colleagues for their hard work, as we have supported some fantastic events over the years.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
“From hosting the bi-annual Ipswich Maritime Festival, which sees thousands of visitors flock to the waterfront to providing views of historic tall ships setting sail along the Orwell, the marina proudly supports local tourism.”