Ipswich music venue could be forced to cancel 6 events if June 21 delayed
- Credit: The Music Room
An Ipswich music venue has said it will have to cancel six events if the Covid rules are not relaxed further on June 21.
Health secretary Matt Hancock said he was “absolutely open” to delaying the final stage of lockdown easing by weeks, but events manager at the Music Room, Darren Smith, said the time is now to get "back to normal".
Mr Hancock told BBC's Andrew Marr on Sunday: "We said in the road map that the 21st June is the date by which we would not take step four before that date and we’d look at the data.
"The best scientific advice I have at this stage is that after one jab it’s not quite as effective against the new Delta variant, but after both jabs it is."
The Music Room's Mr Smith added that looking at the data there is "no reason to delay" as Covid deaths and hospitalisations have fallen as more people have got their vaccine.
He added: "Just a two week delay will cause another six of our events to be cancelled/postponed and a lot of tours around the UK will have to be rescheduled for the third time in some cases."
You may also want to watch:
He told the government to "dig deep" and "support hospitality losses" if they continue down this road.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 4 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal