Wiff Waff bar to close for England final after confirmed Covid cases
- Credit: SOPHIE BARNETT
A popular bar on the Waterfront in Ipswich has said it is "devastated" to be closing for the Euro 2020 final - after some of its staff members tested positive for Covid.
Wiff Waff announced the closure on its Facebook page following lateral flow tests conducted on its team members.
The bar said it is with the "deepest regret" that it has chosen to close ahead of the England v Italy final on Sunday — for which it was fully booked.
Steve Haslem, owner of the bar, said they have chosen to voluntarily close as they did not feel comfortable opening following the confirmed cases.
He said they test staff every three days and have been working closely with the local authority since tests came back positive.
Mr Haslem said: "We have to prioritise safety of both staff and our guests, so we have chosen to isolate our entire team.
"We understand people will be disappointed, but we hope people understand we have done this for the right reason.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 8 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 9 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 10 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
"We are devastated because of the financial impact but also because it is such a big weekend with the England final. But we are not prepared to risk people's safety."
The popular sports bar was due to welcome hundreds of people for the England final on Sunday at 8pm.