Call for vital volunteers
VOLUNTEERS are desperately needed to help with the vital work being done at Felixstowe's Citizen's' Advice Bureau.The CAB has just expanded its weekly surgeries with increasing numbers of people using its services.
By Richard Cornwell
VOLUNTEERS are desperately needed to help with the vital work being done at Felixstowe's Citizen's' Advice Bureau.
The CAB has just expanded its weekly surgeries with increasing numbers of people using its services.
Barbara Rose, manager of the bureau in Orwell Road, said in the past few months several volunteers had given up advising and so she was appealing for more people to give up their time to help the bureau continue to serve the community.
You may also want to watch:
“The CAB is run by local people, for local people and is always looking for more volunteers, regardless of background, to join the team,” she said.
“Formal qualifications are not needed and volunteers will be fully trained as advisers.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
“Many people feel that they really gain from the experience of volunteering and volunteers are the lifeblood of our service - there would be no CAB without them.”
The CAB Certificate in Generalist Advice Work gives volunteers the skills necessary to provide appropriate advice on any subject.
The trainee's progress is constantly reviewed and monitored and they are supported all the way through a short period of training.
Mrs Rose said: “Volunteers really are the backbone of every CAB. We couldn't do without the people who give up their time and energy to help out. If you think you could contribute something to our work, we'd love to hear from you.”
Volunteers will need to be friendly, outgoing and confident, with a warm, welcoming personality, basic computer skills and enjoy dealing with the public.
Over the past few years the bureau in Orwell Road has had a growing workload to deal with handling more than 12,000 enquiries every year.
These include debt problems as well as work issues, legal problems, education, housing, consumer and benefit troubles, and many other topics.
People are also needed to join The Friends of Felixstowe CAB, to assist with fundraising events such as quizzes and the Christmas concert at the Spa Pavilion.
To find out more about joining the team contact the Felixstowe Bureau, 2-6 Orwell Road, Felixstowe, IP11 2HD, or contact Barbara Rose or Jane London on 01394 275958.