Car chase joyrider awaits sentence

IPSWICH joyrider Adam Calver is awaiting his fate today, after admitting being in a stolen car involved in a high-speed early morning police chase.The 19-year-old was one of four passengers in a Ford Fiesta that drove past a marked police car at 60mph in Nacton Road, Ipswich.

IPSWICH joyrider Adam Calver is awaiting his fate today, after admitting being in a stolen car involved in a high-speed early morning police chase.

The 19-year-old was one of four passengers in a Ford Fiesta that drove past a marked police car at 60mph in Nacton Road, Ipswich.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court heard officers saw the car overtake them in the 30mph built-up area at 4am on October 2 last year.

Although they did not know it was stolen they pursued the Fiesta, which prosecutor David Hutson told the court, was travelling at around 60mph.


You may also want to watch:


Suddenly the vehicle veered into a bus lane and then drove over speed humps, before coming to a halt.

Two people were seen running from the car, which had contained five occupants. The remaining three, two males and a female, stayed in the vehicle.

Most Read

One of the police officers gave chase, but was unable to catch the pair who fled.

The court heard Calver, who pleaded guilty to taking a car without consent and causing damage to the Fiesta, was eventually caught through forensic tests carried out on samples and fibres found in the car. The results matched those found at Calver's home.

Mr Hutson told magistrates the Fiesta sustained significant damage during the incident. He said the steering column had been damaged to get the vehicle started, the rear nearside door was dented, and two tyres were deflated, presumably due to going over the safety humps at speed. In addition a section of the front wing was ripped upwards and there were also scratches to the paintwork.

The court heard another male passenger in the car had appeared before the court at an earlier hearing. He was given a 60-hour community punishment order for taking the Fiesta without consent as well as breaching a conditional discharge.

Police have not been able find the driver.

During Calver's hearing it emerged he had pleaded guilty to a previous offence of taking a vehicle without authority for which he was given a 12-month conditional discharge last year. He pleaded guilty to breaching that at his latest hearing.

Chairman of the bench Graham Barnett told Calver the magistrates considered the offences were too serious to sentence him there and then, before ordering pre-sentence reports to be made.

He warned Calver: "We reserve custody as an option."

Calver was released on unconditional bail until March 2, when he must return to the court for sentencing.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter