Caring Emily shows the way
BRIGHT 18-year-old Emily Cannell is today studying her International Baccalaureate.As if that was not enough to keep her busy, she has also been working part time as a volunteer since last November.
BRIGHT 18-year-old Emily Cannell is today studying her International Baccalaureate.
As if that was not enough to keep her busy, she has also been working part time as a volunteer since last November.
Her voluntary work involves helping at activities and fun days for Young Carers who look after family members. These young carers don't always have the opportunity to take part in activities like the rest of their peer groups because they have important responsibilities in their homes.
Emily, from Pashwood Place in Ravenswood said: “It's really satisfying to be helping someone. I never realised I was a 'people person' until I did this.”
It's thanks to volunteers like Emily that the young carers are able to get some respite from their responsibilities and really have some fun.
Twice a month Emily helps out with recreational days for the young carers at Claydon Community Centre, where youngsters can play video games, paint, play sports or just relax in the therapy room.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 7 Lorry overturns on A14 roundabout in Felixstowe
- 8 5 roadworks in Suffolk for motorists to avoid this week
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 10 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
Emily has also helped on outings with the youngsters, including a trip to the dry ski slope at Wherstead, and visits to the theatre.
Emily looks after ten to 15, seven to 12 year olds.
She gets quite attached to the youngsters and said: “They are so outgoing, you get to know them very well.”
She plans to continue volunteering next year and said: “Don't let people stop you from doing what you want. We have so much stress these days but you just have to keep going.”
, American poet>