Cat owner's poison fears
TRIMLEY: Cat owners were warned today that someone may be poisoning animals after two pets died after drinking anti-freeze.Melanie Dale found one of her cats dead and another had to be put down after becoming seriously ill.
TRIMLEY: Cat owners were warned today that someone may be poisoning animals after two pets died after drinking anti-freeze.
Melanie Dale found one of her cats dead and another had to be put down after becoming seriously ill.
She said: “I don't know if this is just some tragic accident or whether someone has deliberately poisoned them and I just want to warn people to be on the look-out in either case.
“Some people don't like cats, I know, but I cannot believe someone would actually set out to harm animals in this way - it is just too horrible to think about.
“However, anti-freeze is not the sort of thing which is normally left around and is usually kept in sealed containers.”
Miss Dale, 28, of St Martin's Green, Trimley St Martin, and who works for China Shipping in Felixstowe, took her 14-month-old cat Casper to the vet last month after he returned home unwell and kept trying to vomit. A few days later he was put to sleep.
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
In the meantime, she had found four-year-old cat Daisy curled up dead.
Miss Dale, who has three other cats, said post mortems found the cats had swallowed anti-freeze.
During the summer RSPCA officers investigated a spate of cat poisonings in Felixstowe after food was spiked with slug pellets.
Vet Jamie Whittle, of Whitworths vets in Trimley St Mary, said: “I don't think at this stage that it is malicious - it could be there has been a puddle of anti-freeze somewhere and the cats have been attracted to it because of its sweet taste.”
There is an antidote if it is realised within 24 hours a cat has drunk anti-freeze, but after that there is no chance of saving an animal as crystals quickly build up in its kidneys, causing them to fail.
Have your pets suffered any unusual sickness symptoms? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com