Charitable cops spread festive cheer
Disadvantaged children from around the world are set to enjoy some festive cheer thanks to Suffolk police.
SUFFOLK: Disadvantaged children from around the world are set to enjoy some festive cheer thanks to Suffolk police.
The county's force backed a charity appeal to fill shoeboxes full of goodies which will be sent to youngsters in hospitals, orphanages, internally displaced persons camps, homeless shelters and impoverished neighbourhoods.
Officers and staff managed to fill 102 shoeboxes as part of the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child campaign - an increase on the 93 filled a year earlier.
The boxes were collected from Ipswich Police Station, in Elm Street, and taken to the central collection point.
You may also want to watch:
Altogether 16,500 boxes were collected from the IP postcode area and will be going to Serbia and the Crimea.
Inspector Becky Kidd-Stanton, operations inspector at Ipswich who organised the collection again this year, said: “The response from constabulary members has been phenomenal.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
“Hopefully the gifts will provide some joy this Christmas for children who come from underprivileged backgrounds in remote areas of the world.
“I would personally like to thank everyone who has made a contribution.
“The response has been so good over the last two years that I hope to run it again next year.”
Further information about the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child can be found at www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk
Are you raising money for charity this Christmas? Call the newsdesk on 01473 324790 or e-mail email@example.com