Children’s concert at St Peter’s by the Waterfront in Ipswich on March 19
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich mother has reached her target of raising £30,000 for St Elizabeth Hospice in memory of her husband...and she isn’t stopping there.
Christina Wise began her fundraising journey in April 2014, one month after losing her husband Andy to kidney cancer at the age of 41.
Mr Wise spent a total of nine weeks at the charity’s hospice in Ipswich’s Foxhall Road, offering invaluable support to Mrs Wise and the couple’s two children, Oliver, nine, and Grace, six.
The family have since organised scores of events in a bid to raise £30,000 for the hospice in two years - the estimated cost of Mr Wise’s care.
Despite reaching that goal this Christmas, Mrs Wise said her campaign was not over yet.
“We did it in just over 18 months and it’s been interesting because now I feel like anything is achievable,” said Mrs Wise, aged 42. “It got to the stage that I knew we were going to reach it because there were people who I hardly know offering to help.
“So now I’m thinking maybe we can reach £40,000 by the end of this year.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 7 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 8 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 9 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 10 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
“It’s been amazing, it’s really good therapy too.”
Following a successful first event last year, another children’s concert will be held at St Peter’s by the Waterfront in Ipswich on March 19 at 2.30pm to raise further funds for the hospice.
Music will be performed by the St Peter’s Band and will feature the children of the Cliff Lane School choir, where Mrs Wise’s two children attend.
The poster for the event was designed by a Year 4 pupil at the school, Eva Wayland.
Eva was the winner of a poster competition held across the whole school which was judged by local artist, Mark Sach.
The concert will include music from children’s movies and there will also be a chance to ‘have-a-go’ at musical instruments.
Cakes will also be up for sale, and there will be two raffles - one for children and one for adults.
Tickets are £6 per adult and £4 for children and can be purchased from Cliff Lane Primary School or St Peter’s by the Waterfront.