Children's opera coming to Woodbridge
AN OPERA for children is set to be held in Seckford Theatre, Woodbridge, next month.Gentle Giant, a Royal Opera House Production based on the book by Michael Morpurgo, is due to begin on March 15.
AN OPERA for children is set to be held in Seckford Theatre, Woodbridge, next month.
Gentle Giant, a Royal Opera House Production based on the book by Michael Morpurgo, is due to begin on March 15.
The story is of a village beside a silver lake where the people fish for their living. However when the fish stop biting, the villagers are scared that the giant who lives on the island could be to blame for their problems.
Gentle Giant, composed by Stephen McNeff, explores themes of friendship, community and the environment, and is told by a small ensemble of singers and instrumentalists, including Joe Corbett, Richard Edgar-Wilson and Clare McCaldin.
You may also want to watch:
A family workshop will accompany the performance on March 15 at 12.30pm, and offers a fun and practical introduction to Gentle Giant. Led by members of the Royal Opera House education team, young people and their families are invited to explore the themes, plot and characters of the opera through music, design and drama activities. There will also be exclusive schools workshops for more than 300 children across the region.
Tickets for the family workshop cost £4 for adults, £3 for children £12 for a family ticket (two adults and two children, or one adult and three children).
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
Tickets for the performance cost £7.50 for adults, £5 for children, £20 for a family. Performances will be at 11am and 2.30pm.
For tickets to the performance and the workshop can be bought by calling 01394 615015 or visiting www.seckfordtheatre.org
For more information on the story, the characters, the production and the creative team or to access a teacher's pack go to www.roh.org.uk/gentlegiant.