Chip shop till snatch police probe
POLICE today refused to rule out a link between a series of raids on traders in Felixstowe after another till snatch in the town.In the past two weeks there have been four incidents at shops and takeaways, with the latest last night when a man grabbed cash from the till at Bugattis chip shop in Walton High Street.
POLICE today refused to rule out a link between a series of raids on traders in Felixstowe after another till snatch in the town.
In the past two weeks there have been four incidents at shops and takeaways, with the latest last night when a man grabbed cash from the till at Bugattis chip shop in Walton High Street.
Detectives said there did not appear to be a specific link to the incidents – the others were a till snatch at Safeway, and attempted armed robberies at McDonalds and Michael's Stores – but they were keeping an open mind.
"We would not rule anything out at this stage and inquiries and leads are currently being followed up in each case," said a police spokeswoman.
You may also want to watch:
Bugattis was targeted at about 8.15pm when a man entered the premises and asked for change. As the till was opened, he grabbed notes from the drawer and fled, heading towards The Walk. It is not known how much cash was taken.
The thief is described as white, about 6ft 2in tall, of broad but not muscular build, with short light brown hair in a skinhead-type cut.
- 1 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 2 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
- 3 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 6 Vandals strike at beautiful stately home near Ipswich during restoration
- 7 Pub owner on how 'amazing' community support helped venue survive
- 8 Meet the Ipswich 18-year-old who is now one of UK's youngest politicians
- 9 New primary and pre-school set for September 2022 opening
- 10 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
He had protruding lips with noticeable gaps between his teeth, and had a tattoo on his inner forearm.
At the time he was wearing a black baseball cap, a plain black pullover-type fleece and dark jeans, but it is thought he is also the same man who entered the shop 20 minutes earlier wearing a red T-shirt and asked for change.
Police are asking anyone who may have been in or near the shop between 7.50pm and 8.20pm who may have seen the man to contact Felixstowe CID on 01473 613500.
Last Thursday Safeway in Grange Farm Avenue lost a sum of cash from one its check-outs after a scruffy, unshaven man grabbed cash from an open till, ran out of the store, jumped into a small blue car and drove off.
On Saturday shopkeeper Michael Isaacs fended off with a table a balaclava-clad knife-wielding robber who went into his shop in Margaret Street and demanded the takings and then tried to steal the till.
Two weeks ago, a Bonny and Clyde duo tried to hold-up McDonalds fast-food restaurant in Walton Avenue with a handgun.
The man and woman both threatened a 20-year-old worker behind the counter and demanded that he had over cash from the till, but they fled the scene empty-handed after something appeared to fall from the end of the gun.