Looking back to 1997 when fun in the sun came to Christchurch Park
- Credit: Jamie Niblock
Back in the 1990s thousands of music lovers flocked to Ipswich’s Chistchurch Park to enjoy a feast of classical sounds.
It was the first time such an event had been held – with organisers targeting a new audience and encouraging families to bring their picnics to enjoy an evening in the summer sun, eating and listening to excellent music.
Ipswich Star photographer Jamie Niblock went along in 1997 to capture the event on camera – as people of all ages enjoyed choirs, quartets and orchestras playing quality music from the past and modern classical music.
The evenings frequently had a Last Night of the Proms theme, giving everyone the chance to wave flags and wear Union Jack attire.
For several years the stage was left up for a Praise in the Park event featuring a range of modern Christian music the following day.
Do you remember Orchestrelle? To share your memories, email email@example.com
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 8 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 9 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
- 10 Ipswich Central prepares for new five-year term to change town