Clean up after storeroom fire

STAFF are cleaning up today after a fire mysteriously broke out in a storeroom at an Ipswich shop.The fire started in a building used to store cardboard boxes behind Balfour newsagents, in Garrick Way.

STAFF are cleaning up today after a fire mysteriously broke out in a storeroom at an Ipswich shop.

The fire started in a building used to store cardboard boxes behind Balfour newsagents, in Garrick Way.

The flames caused extensive smoke damage to the brick building and also damaged some fuse boxes that were no longer in use.

Firefighters took around ten minutes to bring the blaze under control.

June Sherman, 57, customer service assistant, said: "Three fire engines arrived and the fire had to wear breathing apparatus as the smoke was so thick. It stank out the shop."

A teenage boy on work experience called the fire brigade when he saw the flames shortly after he had added more cardboard to the pile at around 3pm yesterday .

Most Read

Donna Pooley, 18, shop supervisor, said the youngster "ran back into the building saying there was a fire."

"He said he had seen two teenagers cycling by just before he saw the fire.

The flames spread very quickly."

A spokesman for the fire service said that the fire was being treated as suspicious.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter