Comedian Jimmy Carr doesn’t disappoint as tour comes to Ipswich Regent
- Credit: Archant
Jimmy Carr went back to his origins as he performed his Best Of Ultimate Gold Greatest Hits tour at Ipswich Regent on Saturday night.
When he first burst onto the national stage Carr was best known for his one-liners and tonight was no exception.
There was a blend of old and new, but Carr has not lost his comic timing - knowing that a well-timed sip of water is as effective as a missing Oxford comma in achieving humour.
But the show was not merely a well-rehearsed script of slick one-liners. Carr is a superb comedian, able to wring laughter from a pun, a built up story, or even some physical comedy.
Yet perhaps it is the audience interaction which was the stand out part of this stand-up. While I felt I might have heard some of the jokes before (though this is, after all, a best of tour) it was his off the cuff reaction to the audience’s stories and heckles that made the show feel fresh. Poor Ben in the front row...
You may also want to watch:
Carr was a great night out. As you expect with him (and if you don’t, perhaps this isn’t the right comedian for you - domestic abuse and paedophilia are not above punchlines), at some if his jokes you laugh, and some you suck your teeth at.
If nothing else his trademark laugh brings a cheer in itself.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
A fantastic show - well worth catching him when he returns to the Regent.
Will Lodge saw Jimmy Carr at Ipswich Regent on June 3.