Community centre opened by 'celebs'
PROUD residents saw the results of months of fundraising when a new community centre was opened in Adastral Close, Felixstowe.Representatives from various areas of the community gathered at the centre for the grand opening .
PROUD residents saw the results of months of fundraising when a new community centre was opened in Adastral Close, Felixstowe.
Representatives from various areas of the community gathered at the centre for the grand opening .
The official opening ceremony was performed by Allen Marvelley , chairman of Orwell Housing's tenants services committee.
He said: "This centre is unique in that it is probably one of very few in the country that has been completely tenant-led. The tenants raised all the money themselves. The input that Orwell Housing had, was in helping with the siting and the planning process.
You may also want to watch:
"I told the residents they didn't need a celebrity there to open it because they are the celebrities themselves thanks to all their hard work."
In total, almost £12,000 had to be raised to set up the centre.
- 1 Ipswich bar forced to close early after staff attacked
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 New restaurant set to open at former Little Waitrose store this year
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Man jailed for attacking teenage girl with saucepan and meat cleaver in Ipswich
- 7 Celebrations as Starbucks opens its new Ipswich drive-thru
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Woman injured after being struck by van near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 10 Man released on bail after central Ipswich stabbing
It will provide a range of services including regular surgeries by the police and the tenants' association.