Woods Lane in Melton closes to traffic as work begins on 180-home development
PUBLISHED: 06:55 06 November 2017 | UPDATED: 06:55 06 November 2017
A controversial road closure in Melton that residents feared could disrupt 'thousands of lives' began at 6am today.
Housing developer Bloor Homes is considering working round the clock in phase two of the work at Woods Lane to minimise disruption.
The fiercely opposed road closure, which was discussed at a heated public meeting last week, is part of the company’s plans to build a 180-home development at Longwood Fields.
The road closed this morning at 6am.
Bloor Homes had said it had investigated all other options but a full closure was required to carry out the works safely and efficiently.
However, more than 3,000 people have signed a petition calling for a ‘compromise’ over the closure which is set to cause disruption to people in Melton, Woodbridge and the Sutton Peninsula.
Bloor says it is considering 24-hour working at the site in the future, but only on phase two of the scheme, set to take place between January 8 and April 13.
Bloor has responded to concerns over a diversion for lorries through Ufford, which involved a sharp turn between Wilford Bridge Road and the B1438.
Lorries will now be asked to use Station Road, avoiding the sharp turn.
Parking and waiting will be prohibited on Station Road to ease traffic flow.
Other vehicles will be diverted through Woodbridge, as originally proposed.