Conversion project on a grand scale near Ipswich, in Savills auction
- Credit: Archant
Former Anglian Water pump house at Akenham, could become your Grand Design style project. It has a guide price of £140,000.
Every so often an unusual property becomes available which offers a home conversion opportunity of Grand Designs proportions.
The Old Pump House, in Thurleston Lane, Akenham - on the north west outskirts of Ipswich, is such an opportunity.
The handsome former Anglian Water building, now overgrown and unused, is being offered for sale - at auction - by Savills with guide price of £140,000.
This striking building, built in 1913, offers approximately 2,340sq ft of space, and is ripe for conversion to residential.
You may also want to watch:
It sits on a plot of about 0.46 acres, just a short drive from the edge of the Ipswich, via Henley Road.
It is in a semi-rural position, with views across farmland and paddocks.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 8 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 9 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 10 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
It is just outside the edge of the town which is in cycling or walking distance.
A good few years ago local school children, myself included, would run past it on their school cross-country route.
Now the former industrial building could become an individual home of real character.
Tom Orford, of head of residential at Savills in Ipswich said: “It has got great potential and it will certainly get some people’s appetites going.
“It is a classic design and could make an amazing home, or some mix of commercial and residential.
“I sold something similar a long time ago, at Trimley, and went back to see it when it had been done.
“It worked very well.
“It is in a good situation for a conversion.
“It is a commercial building so you would need to get planning permission to convert it to residential.
“It is a great opportunity for someone with imagination.”
The pump house is on an almost rectangular site, with a grassland area and a gated driveway from Thurleston Lane.
The interior features a high metal frame truss roof and an original rolling beam hoist system.
The Savills national property auction takes place on Monday July 24, at the Sheraton Grand Hotel, in Piccadilly.
The Old Pump House is Lot 44 on the day.