Council tax? Put a lid on it
SUFFOLK has had enough. Council tax is crippling us all. Already residents have had to endure a whopping 18.5 per cent increase in their bills this year. And as protests grow around the county, The Evening Star demands: Cap the tax.
SUFFOLK has had enough. Council Tax is crippling us all.
Already residents have had to endure a whopping 18.5 per cent increase in their bills this year.
But although the tax has risen by 50pc since 1998, the expectation for 2004 is of huge rises throughout the country.
This is despite the fact that 2pc savings have been ordered in each Suffolk County Council department.
You may also want to watch:
While the government blames the county councils and councillors blame the government it is the people who are being bled dry.
Back door taxation is picking the pockets of those who can afford it least, in particular the elderly, who have scrimped and saved all their lives.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 6 New walking trail explores 'key role' Suffolk played in Anglo-Saxon history
- 7 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
- 8 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 9 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
Protests are springing up in Suffolk and other parts of the country as the bandwagon of vehement dissent gathers pace.
Remember it was the ill-fated poll tax which played a major part in the downfall of Margaret Thatcher's premiership.
Last year we launched Council Watch. Today, we are taking it one step further as The Evening Star demands – Cap the Tax.
OPINION AND IN-DEPTH REPORTS IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR