Countdown to six weeks of Christmas fun in Ipswich begins
- Credit: Archant
The final details of six weeks of festive fun in the lead-up to Christmas in Ipswich have been confirmed – with the fun due to start on November 19.
That is the first night of late-night shopping in the town, and it will coincide with a sparkling event to switch on Ipswich’s Christmas lights.
They will be turned on by mayor Glen Chisholm helped by some of the stars of the Regent’s pantomime Aladdin at the climax to more than an hour of entertainment on the Cornhill.
The Star will be linking up with the borough to offer readers some great prizes during the festive season as a series of events is held to attract shoppers to the town.
Special events are planned for the five late-night shopping events every Thursday between November 19 and December 17.
There are also expected to be family-themed events on the five Sundays leading up to Christmas.
One of the highlights of the season is likely to be the town’s Christmas market between December 11 and 13 turning streets near Giles Circus into a bustling area offering something very different.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 9 Caribbean trailer to open soon in town centre
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
Borough councillor Colin Kreidewolf, who has been working on the festive plans, said: “We are putting together a fantastic festive programme to make sure the town sparkles for the six weeks leading up to Christmas.
“As well as the switch-on itself on the first late shopping night and the three-day festive market we are bringing a giant snow globe, local choirs, street entertainment and a fabulous series of prize draws in association with the Ipswich Star.
“We’ve got some great prizes on offer to help celebrate a very merry Ipswich.”