Court date for double manslaughter case
THE man accused of double manslaughter, following the deaths of two Ipswich teenagers hit by a car, has appeared in court.ZulfiqarAli, 33, as before Bury St Edmunds Crown Court yesterday accused of the manslaughter of 15-year-old schoolboys Scott Towler and Dean Bloomfield.
THE man accused of double manslaughter, following the deaths of two Ipswich teenagers hit by a car, has appeared in court.
ZulfiqarAli, 33, as before Bury St Edmunds Crown Court yesterday accused of the manslaughter of 15-year-old schoolboys Scott Towler and Dean Bloomfield.
Ali, of Boyton Road, Ipswich, spoke only once during the short hearing to confirm his name to Judge John Devaux.
He was remanded in custody to appear before Ipswich Crown Court on October 2, when he will enter pleas to the two manslaughter charges and a further two charges of dangerous driving.
You may also want to watch:
During the hearing, a provisional date of March 1 was set for a trial, should it be needed.
Judge Devaux indicated the four-week hearing would take place in Bury St Edmunds, but told both prosecution and defence counsels to apply to a presiding judge within 14 days if they required the case to be transferred out of the county.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 8 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 9 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 10 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
Dean and Scott, pupils of Stoke High School in Ipswich, were hit by a car while walking in the town's Fore Hamlet in June. Scott died almost instantly, while Dean lost his fight for life in hospital a day later.