Court date for double manslaughter case
THE man accused of double manslaughter, following the deaths of two Ipswich teenagers hit by a car, has appeared in court.ZulfiqarAli, 33, as before Bury St Edmunds Crown Court yesterday accused of the manslaughter of 15-year-old schoolboys Scott Towler and Dean Bloomfield.
THE man accused of double manslaughter, following the deaths of two Ipswich teenagers hit by a car, has appeared in court.
ZulfiqarAli, 33, as before Bury St Edmunds Crown Court yesterday accused of the manslaughter of 15-year-old schoolboys Scott Towler and Dean Bloomfield.
Ali, of Boyton Road, Ipswich, spoke only once during the short hearing to confirm his name to Judge John Devaux.
He was remanded in custody to appear before Ipswich Crown Court on October 2, when he will enter pleas to the two manslaughter charges and a further two charges of dangerous driving.
You may also want to watch:
During the hearing, a provisional date of March 1 was set for a trial, should it be needed.
Judge Devaux indicated the four-week hearing would take place in Bury St Edmunds, but told both prosecution and defence counsels to apply to a presiding judge within 14 days if they required the case to be transferred out of the county.
- 1 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 2 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 3 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 4 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 8 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Suffolk man buys rare Mini built to mark Queen's Silver Jubilee for £10k
Dean and Scott, pupils of Stoke High School in Ipswich, were hit by a car while walking in the town's Fore Hamlet in June. Scott died almost instantly, while Dean lost his fight for life in hospital a day later.