Court hears outline of teen’s harassment of Ipswich shopkeeper

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court - Credit: Archant

Tearaway Max Sinclair can no longer contact Prashant Shah or approach his shop in Queen’s Way, Ipswich, after being given a 12-month restraining order.

The town’s magistrates also told Sinclair he must pay a total of £260 in fines, charges and compensation after admitting four offences, three of which involved Mr Shah and Pick ‘n’ Pay.

In addition Sinclair was made the subject of a 12-month community order which includes carrying out 120 hours of unpaid work.

A curfew from 9pm to 6am imposed at a previous court hearing for another offence will remain in place until November 4.

When the 18-year-old before the court he admitted two counts of theft involving drinks worth £2 on August 22 and £1.39 on August 13.

Sinclair, of Gippeswyk Road, Ipswich, also pleaded guilty to harassment between August 9 and August 23.

He also admitted a fourth offence of stealing a bicycle in Ropes Drive, Kesgrave.

Most Read

Prosecutor Stephen Colman said the teenager had been part of a group of youths causing problems outside Mr Shah’s shop.

On August 9 Sinclair and another male stood outside the store blocking the entrance for customers,

Mr Shah had asked them to get out of the way but they kicked the door frame, shouted and swore before disappearing.

Sinclair returned later and began playing with the controls of the shop’s shutters making them go up and down while he laughed.

On August 12 Sinclair and another male walked into the store and were told to leave. However, they kept coming in and swearing at Mr Shah, telling him he would be beaten up and his shop would be smashed, magistrates heard.

Sinclair would walk around the shop if Mr Shah was serving customers to “wind him up”, Mr Colman said.

Sinclair then threw two small items at the shopkeeper after picking them up from outside the store.

Later that evening another male came into the doorway with the speaker on his phone switched on and Sinclair shouting down the phone.

The following day Sinclair told Mr Shah he had been stupid to have called the police and it would get worse for him.

Between 3pm and 4pm Sinclair came back and stole a bottle of Snapple lemonade before running out of the store.

Sinclair and another male stole two drinks on August 23.

The court was told Sinclair had previous convictions for failing to surrender to custody, driving while unfit, possessing a bladed article, battery and dangerous driving.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter