Crash dad praises emergency services

A FATHER who admitted causing a crash which left his six-month-old son fighting for his life has today spoken of his regret and praised emergency services.

A FATHER who admitted causing a crash which left his six-month-old son fighting for his life has today spoken of his regret and praised emergency services.

John Million, 57, of Albert Bridge Road, London, pleaded guilty to careless driving and not having correct child seat restraints fitted when he was in a head-on collision with a van in Stowupland.

Following the hearing at Mildenhall Magistrate's court Million said he wanted to thank police, ambulance and firefighters whose professionalism had probably saved his son's life.

He said: "If it wasn't for them it would have been a lot worse.

"I accept full responsibility for what happened."

Magistrates heard that Million was breaking the speed limit and his baby son was sitting on his partner's lap in a rear seat of the Volkswagen Golf, with no seat belt, when the accident happened on February 2 this year.

Most Read

His car crossed the central white line of the A1120 and collided head-on with an oncoming Vauxhall Vivaro.

Million was cut free from the wreckage suffering only minor injuries but the baby was taken to hospital with severe head injuries.

Prosecuting, Sarah-Jane Atkins told the court that the family, including Million's ten-year-old son, had decided to take a trip to Southwold while on holiday in Newmarket.

She said: "They reached the A1120 in Stowupland, where the speed limit is 30 miles per hour.

"They came to a bend in the road and at this point, travelling around 40 miles per hour, the car crossed over the central white lines and struck the van head-on."

When Million was first interviewed by police on April 13, the baby was still in hospital.

However the court heard from Lyndon Davies, mitigating, he has since made a full recovery.

Speaking of his client he said: "He has suffered considerably for this instant, it was a single act of foolishness."

He said the only reason Million's partner and their baby were not wearing seatbelts was because they had been temporarily removed to allow his partner to stop the family dog from distracting the driver.

He added: "He buried his head in the sand and pretended an accident was never going to happen, when of course it did."

Chairman of the bench Chris Peters ordered Million to pay fines of £300 for careless driving, £150 for not having appropriate restraints fitted, costs of £45.

He also endorsed his licence with eight points, saying: "It was driving with a high degree of carelessness. By your own admission you were exceeding the speed limit on a wet road."

n. Do you think fines for driving offences should be higher? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter