Man denies murdering fellow guest house tenant
- Credit: Archant
The trial of a man accused of murdering a fellow tenant at an Ipswich guest house will take place in May next year.
Forty-year-old Warren Atkinson is accused of killing Steven Povey at the Beaumont Guest House in Norwich Road, where Atkinson was also a resident, on July 9.
On Tuesday, November 9, Atkinson attended a plea hearing at Ipswich Crown Court via prison video link and pleaded not guilty to murdering Mr Povey.
His trial, which is expected to last about five weeks, will get underway on May 3.
A further case management hearing will take place on March 14.
At the opening of Mr Povey's inquest in September, Suffolk Coroner's Court heard the 37-year-old was found by his landlady at the address and paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service pronounced him dead at the scene.
A postmortem examination found extensive bruising to the head and neck.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams